Membership has its benefits! If you belong to a member company, create your account below.
If you do not belong to a member company, please consider joining.
Cannot retrieve the URL specified in the Content Link property. For more assistance, contact your site administrator.
My AAR (Publications & Additional Resources)
Your password has been sent to the email address provided.
Does not appear to be a valid email address. Please use the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Nov. 11, 2015 – The Association of American Railroads (AAR) today reported U.S. rail traffic for the week ending Nov. 7, 2015.
For this week, total U.S. weekly rail traffic was 539,165 carloads and intermodal units, down 5.2 percent compared with the same week last year.
Total carloads for the week ending Nov. 7 were 272,063 carloads, down 8.7 percent compared with the same week in 2014, while U.S. weekly intermodal volume was 267,102 containers and trailers, down 1.5 percent compared to 2014.
Four of the 10 carload commodity groups posted an increase compared with the same week in 2014. They included: miscellaneous carloads, up 24.1 percent to 9,862; motor vehicles and parts, up 6 percent to 17,877; and grain, up 5.2 percent to 23,428 carloads. Commodity groups that posted decreases compared with the same week in 2014 included: petroleum and petroleum products, down 19.7 percent to 12,999 carloads; metallic ores and metals, down 18 percent to 20,574 carloads; and coal, down 16 percent to 94,974 carloads.
For the first 44 weeks of 2015, U.S. railroads reported cumulative volume of 12,277,219 carloads, down 4.7 percent from the same point last year; and 11,773,679 intermodal units, up 2 percent from last year. Total combined U.S. traffic for the first 44 weeks of 2015 was 24,050,898 carloads and intermodal units, a decrease of 1.5 percent compared to last year.
North American rail volume for the week ending Nov. 7, 2015 on 13 reporting U.S., Canadian and Mexican railroads totaled 363,122 carloads, down 8.8 percent compared with the same week last year, and 337,479 intermodal units, up 0.4 percent compared with last year. Total combined weekly rail traffic in North America was 700,601 carloads and intermodal units, down 4.5 percent. North American rail volume for the first 44 weeks of 2015 was 31,313,133 carloads and intermodal units, down 1.3 percent compared with 2014.
Canadian railroads reported 76,795 carloads for the week, down 10.7 percent, and 59,914 intermodal units, up 10 percent compared with the same week in 2014. For the first 44 weeks of 2015, Canadian railroads reported cumulative rail traffic volume of 6,062,098 carloads, containers and trailers, down 0.7 percent.
Mexican railroads reported 14,264 carloads for the week, up 0.9 percent compared with the same week last year, and 10,463 intermodal units, up 0.6 percent. Cumulative volume on Mexican railroads for the first 44 weeks of 2015 was 1,200,137 carloads and intermodal containers and trailers, up 1.5 percent from the same point last year.
For more information contact: AAR Media Relations at
About AAR: The Association of American Railroads (AAR) is the world's leading railroad policy, research and technology organization focusing on the safety and productivity of rail carriers. AAR members include the major freight railroads of the U.S., Canada and Mexico, as well as Amtrak. Learn more at
Follow us on Twitter:
@AAR_FreightRail or Facebook: