Railroads’ annual investments to modernize and improve America’s freight rail network have significantly contributed to freight rail’s strong safety record.
In fact, there is a direct correlation between the increase in rail network investments and enhanced safety performance. With record levels of private spending on capital improvements and maintenance over the last five years and more than $25 billion annually on average, America’s privately owned freight railroads are at the forefront of advancing safety.
2018 rail safety data continue to show that recent years have been the safest on record for the rail sector. According to FRA data, since 2009 the:
- Train accident rate is down 10%
- Equipment-caused accident rate is down 11%
- Track-caused accident rate is down 26%
- Derailment rate is down 9%
- Employee injury rate is down 16%
- Hazmat accident rate is down 48% (2008-2017)
- Grade crossing collision rate is down 37% (2000-2018)