Railroads’ annual investments to modernize and improve America’s freight rail network have significantly contributed to freight rail’s strong safety record.
In fact, there is a direct correlation between the increase in rail network investments and enhanced safety performance.
With record levels of private spending on capital improvements and maintenance over the last five years and more than $25 billion annually on average, America’s privately owned freight railroads are at the forefront of advancing safety.
2017 rail safety data continues to show that recent years have been the safest on record for the rail sector. According to recent FRA data based on per million train miles, since 2008 the:
- Train accident rate is down 23%.
- Equipment-caused accident rate is down 16%.
- Track-caused accident rate is down 40% to an all-time low.
- Derailment rate is down 23%.
- Hazmat accident rate is down 41%.