FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Washington, DC — May 16, 2017 — With Infrastructure Week underway, millions of Americans are learning about the challenges that a failing infrastructure poses to the nation’s economy. However, one industry stands above because of its ability to privately invest in maintaining their network – freight rail. For the men and women of America’s railroads, every week is Infrastructure Week.
11 Numbers to Know about Freight Rail
- $60 million — Dollars per day freight railroads invest in their infrastructure.
- 8 — Number of times rail in the U.S. network could circle the earth.
- $274 billion — Freight rail’s economic impact in 2014.
- 54 — Number of tons of freight moved for every American each year.
- $1 — Invested by the railroads generates $10 in economic activity.
- 69,000 — Tons of new rail laid in 2015.
- 43 — Percent decrease in accidents and derailments since 2000.
- $100 million — Amount invested each month to develop, test, and install Positive Train Control (PTC)
- 6 million — Number of crossties installed in 2013
- $121,000 — Average rail employee compensation, including benefits.
- 6 — Freight railroads invest six times the average manufacturer.
The numbers are clear. Freight rail works for America.
# # #
For more information contact: AAR Media Relations at [email protected] or 202-639-2345.
About AAR: The AAR is the world’s leading railroad policy, research and technology organization focusing on the safety and productivity of rail carriers. AAR members include the major freight railroads of the U.S., Canada and Mexico, as well as Amtrak.