Railroad Hazmat Resource Toolkit
- BNSF Hazmat
- CN Hazmat
- CP Emergency Response
- CSX Hazmat Systems
- NS Operation Awareness & Response
- AskRail App
- UP Hazmat
- U.S. DOT FRA Hazmat
The Association of American Railroads BOE Hazmat Seminar has been suspended until further notice. We are looking for new and innovative ways to present updates, share information and create opportunities for networking and would appreciate your input.
- AAR CPC 1245 Pamphlet 34 BOE: Provides general guidelines for the selection of tank cars and recommended procedures for loading and unloading of the cars. The Spanish translation was provided by KCS and KCSM to AAR.
- AAR CPC 1337 OT 55Q with Ask Rail: Recommended Railroad Operating Practices for Transportation of Hazardous Materials
- AAR CPC 1122 BOE: Provides top ten best practices to help rail shippers reduce non-accident releases, improve emergency response communication and reduce the probability of incidents and accidents in hazmat transportation.
- AAR US Hazmat Instructions Rail BOE: Describes how to handle hazardous material shipments or incidents safely and efficiently, without delay, and in accord with local, state, and federal regulations in order to comply with Department of Transportation regulations.
- AAR Intermodal Gate Operations BOE: Provides instructions for how gate clerks must handle trailers/containers (both freight and tank containers) transporting hazardous materials during intermodal gate operations.
- AAR Recommended Placard Placement Containers Portable Tanks BOE: Notifies industry professionals of how AAR recommends placing the placards on containers and portable tanks in order to reduce frustrations at ports.
- AAR 2017 Field Guide For Tank Cars BOE: To be used by emergency responders and others involved with railroad tank cars. Please note that if you would like to print multiple copies for training, you will need to email Andy Elkins at [email protected] for a release form. The Spanish translation was provided by KCS and KCSM to AAR.
AAR / Hazmat and Emergency Response Database Industry Reference Files
AAR has released the 2018 pricing and order process for access to the Hazardous Materials Shipping Descriptions Data Base (HMSDDB) and the Emergency Response Data Base (ERDB).
Tariff No. BOE-6000
Tariff No. BOE-6000 contains all the hazardous materials regulations currently issued by the US Department of Transportation. Unlike the US Code of Federal Regulations, which is published just once each year by the Government Printing Office, AAR updates and issues the Tariff No. BOE-6000 on a quarterly basis. Offered in print as either a complete book that is published, updated and issued each quarter or through quarterly updated supplements of the changes to the regulations. Also available in electronic versions that include both the US Regulations as well as Transport Canada’s Dangerous Goods Regulations. Highlights include:
- Highlighted changes showing exact wording of regulatory text that was changed.
- Hazardous Materials User Charts.
- Quick reference, detailed List of Regulatory Changes each quarter.
- UN/NA Cross Reference Guide.
- Publisher’s Note preceding each Part or Subpart summarizing in plain language the contents covered.
- Enhanced Hazardous Materials Table includes additional codes in Col. 1 of §172.101 Hazardous Materials Table identifying those materials that are hazardous substances or marine pollutants and added column for each entry linking it to the appropriate Emergency Response Guide.
- Restrictions, including intermodal, for hazardous materials acceptance and transportation by rail.
- Recommended placement of placards on containers and portable tanks.
- Recommended methods for the safe loading and unloading of non-pressure (general service) and pressure tank cars.