Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Latest News

​​​​​​​​​​​​​FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE


AAR Reports Increased Weekly Rail Traffic

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sept. 25, 2014 – The Association of American Railroads (AAR) today reported increased U.S. rail traffic for the week ending Sept. 20, 2014 with 302,178 total carloads, up 5 percent compared with the same week last year. Total U.S. weekly intermodal volume was 279,777 units, up 6.4 percent compared with the same week last year. Total combined U.S. weekly rail traffic was 581,955 carloads and intermodal units, up 5.7 percent compared with the same week last year.

Nine of 10 of the carload commodity groups posted increases compared with the same week in 2013, including petroleum and petroleum products with 16,208 carloads, up 26.8 percent; grain with 19,319 carloads, up 23.2 percent; and nonmetallic minerals with 40,659 carloads, up 10.8 percent. The week’s intermodal volume, 279,777 units, was a record high for U.S. railroads, breaking the previous record set the week before.

For the first 38 weeks of 2014, U.S. railroads reported cumulative volume of 11,020,960 carloads, up 3.5 percent compared with the same point last year, and 9,802,259 intermodal units, up 5.7 percent from last year. Total combined U.S. traffic for the first 38 weeks of 2014 was 20,823,219 carloads and intermodal units, up 4.5 percent from last year.

Canadian railroads reported 85,453 carloads for the week, down 0.2 percent, and 60,870 intermodal units, up 7 percent compared with the same week in 2013. For the first 38 weeks of 2014, Canadian railroads reported cumulative volume of 3,015,371 carloads, up 1.4 percent from the same point last year, and 2,169,836 intermodal units, up 7.1 percent from last year.

Mexican railroads reported 13,459 carloads for the week, up 4.8 percent compared with the same week last year, and 10,511 intermodal units, up 2.6 percent. Cumulative volume on Mexican railroads for the first 38 weeks of 2014 was 593,441 carloads, up 1.7 percent from the same point last year, and 396,140 intermodal units, up 4.3 percent from last year.

Combined North American rail volume for the first 38 weeks of 2014 on 13 reporting U.S., Canadian and Mexican railroads totaled 14,629,772 carloads, up 3 percent compared with the same point last year, and 12,368,235 intermodal containers and trailers, up 5.9 percent compared with last year.

# # #

For more information contact: Ed Greenberg, egreenberg@aar.org, 202-639-2346.

About AAR: The Association of American Railroads (AAR) is the world's leading railroad policy, research and technology organization focusing on the safety and productivity of rail carriers. AAR members include the major freight railroads of the U.S., Canada and Mexico, as well as Amtrak. Learn more at www.aar.org. Follow us on Twitter: AAR_FreightRail or Facebook: www.facebook.com/freightrail.​